In my most recent cleaning spree, my pantry underwent a total makeover. Some background– my pantry, like the rest of my apartment, is small. Its modest size necessitates some serious organization. Fortunately for me, organizing and throwing sh*t away are two of my favorite activities.
After I cleared out the clutter, installed pantry-specific shelves from Target, and lined things up according to height and ease of access, I decided I should share my pantry essentials. These are things I always have on hand to make cooking not only possible, but totally delicious and petite-friendly! Think versatile ingredients for BIG flavor.
- Garlic Powder
- Chili Powder– adds a little heat and Mexican flavor
- Cumin– a quick way to make anything taste authentically Mediterranean
- Red pepper flakes– extra hot!
- Cinnamon– I put cinnamon in everything— tea, coffee, oatmeal, yogurt, toast
- Vanilla extract
- Virgin coconut oil– medium heat applications; baking; sweets
- Extra virgin olive oil– no-low heat applications
- Avocado oil– medium-high heat applications
- Balsamic vinegar– an awesome salad dressing alternative
- Rice wine vinegar– ^^^
- Coconut aminos (or liquid aminos or soy sauce)
- Sriracha– make even the most boring meat & veg dinner a little more interesting
- Steel cut oats– a breakfast staple for oatmeal and overnight oats
- Unsalted popcorn
- Nutritional yeast– a great way to achieve cheesy flavor without adding tons of calories; perfect to sprinkle over that unsalted popcorn
- Dry roasted nuts
- Coconut flakes
- Dark chocolate– the darker the better; go for individually-wrapped pieces if you know an entire bar or bag will tempt you too much